45th CLA General Assembly and Conference
Location: Nacionalna i sveučilišna knjižnica u Zagrebu 07.10.2020 - 10.10.2020
Organiser: Hrvatsko knjižničarsko društvo
Co-organizers: Zagreb Library Association, National and University Library in Zagreb
Conference model: Hybrid conference. The conference opening and invited lectures are planned to be held in the Main Entrance Hall of the National and University Library in Zagreb according to relevant epidemiological preconditions and the programme will be streamed live via the conference mobile application. The thematic sections and working part of the Assembly will be held in virtual surroundings.
Program Committee: Matilda Justinić, Jasmina Kenda, Senka Kušar Bisić, Vikica Semenski, Radovan Vrana
Organizing Committee: Dijana Machala, Andreja Tominac, Miroslav Katić, Monika Batur, Lovela Machala Poplašen, Inja Cahun Kisić, Tamara Runjak.
The main theme of the Assembly: Libraries in times of crisis
Sub-themes of the Assembly:
- The answer of libraries and the library community to the COVID-19 crisis
- Perspectives of librarianship in the postCOVID context
- The development and perspectives of library associations’ activity on the local, national and international levels
- Library services and programmes in the context of crisis management
- Remote library services (virtual, hybrid, digital)
- Libraries and digitalization – development of analogue and digital collections
- Virtual library programs in the age of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Cooperation of libraries and educational institutions on conducting e-classes
- Information literacy in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Librarian competencies in library response to the global crisis
- Library standards and rules for work in the context of exceptional circumstances
- Library management in crisis
- Social impact of libraries and crisis communication with the public
- The development of the library profession in the postCOVID perspective
- Library buildings and spaces under the influence of natural disasters
The Croatian Library Association is celebrating its 80th anniversary this year. During its 80 years, the CLA has cooperated with regional library associations, supported the work of all types of libraries in Croatia and has continually developed the library profession through the work of its professional boards. In this celebratory year, libraries have faced exceptional circumstances that completely changed library governance in a matter of days.
The pandemic caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus and epidemiological decisions, which followed to stop the spread of the disease and protect human health, lead libraries in Croatia and in the world to an unprecedented situation.
Despite extremely difficult circumstances, libraries have very quickly managed to adopt their operations to the newly emerged crisis, which demanded a reduction in the scope or complete halt of part of their activities. Libraries continued to offer their users verified sources of information and services in accordance with their organization, technical, financial or personnel capabilities (sub-themes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). They have also offered strong support to the education system, scientific research and to society overall, in order to preserve collective mental health (sub-themes 6, 7).
One of the main challenges which the crisis highlighted is the change in the paradigm of library profession development. Therefore it is important - along with many changes in our physical surroundings like the implementation of strict epidemiological and hygienic measures and social distancing, and challenges in the virtual soundings such as the protection of personal data and respecting copyright - to continue to adopt to new circumstances and to develop plans of action for libraries in the future for crisis such as this one and for similar ones (sub-themes 8, 9, 10, 11). A proportion of libraries, in the past, but also during the COVID-19 pandemic had an additional burden through the effects of natural disasters on library spaces (earthquakes, floods) which implied additional effort of librarians in order to mend the consequences of those events (sub-theme 12).
A unique role of libraries as main carriers of knowledge has remained a foundation of library activity even in these new circumstances.
In times of quick changes, libraries have continued to provide active support to society in the effort to overcome the consequences of the pandemic and to try to make life and work easier for citizens in the physical and spiritual sense while at the same time developing new services and new ways of providing information. The information, educational and cultural role of libraries has remained unquestioned even in the new age while demanding additional investment by the library profession into the education of librarians, in the development of technical capabilities of libraries as well as in harmonization of legislative frameworks.
Types of Sessions:
Live stream invited lectures
Live round table
Video chat rooms
All interested parties are invited to submit their lectures according to the selected themes and according to the proposed types of session in virtual surroundings.
Deadlines for lecture submission:
First abstract submission deadline: 31.7.2020.
Second abstract submission deadline:
Notification of acceptance: 1.9.2020.
Deadline for submitting recorded lectures: 21.9.2020.
Accepted and presented papers can be prepared for publication in Vjesnik bibliotekara Hrvatske (Q3). The submission deadline for papers for publication in Vjesnik is 15th December 2020.
Authors are obliged to follow Guidelines for authors and all received papers will undergo a peer review process. Accepted papers will be published in number 1/2021.
Registration fee includes access to all online lectures, work materials including the Programme Brochure and the Croatian Library Association 80th anniversary commemorative publication. Participation will be tracked via a virtual conference organization application. Participants that attend more than 60% of the conference will be given an attendance certificate.
Payments made by September 11th 2020:
- CLA member – full registration fee: 250,00 Kn (30 €)
- CLA member – one day registration fee (any day): 100,00 Kn (15 €)
- Non-member - full registration fee: 350,00 Kn (50 €)
- Non-member - one day registration fee (any day): 200,00 Kn (35 €)
Payments made from September 11th 2020 to October 10th 2020:
- CLA member – full registration fee: 350,00 Kn (50 €)
- CLA member – one day registration fee (any day): 200,00 Kn (35 €)
- Non-member - full registration fee: 400,00 Kn (60 €)
- Non-member - one day registration fee (any day): 300,00 Kn (40 €)
Sponsor invitation letter